Friday, February 2, 2007

This One, for the Theatre

I recently found out that these particular cookies were beloved by some of my co-workers. I have mostly been making peanut butter cookies lately, so I thought I would shake things up a bit and bring these into work on Friday. They are ridiculously easy, and they're drop cookies so that means I'm not up until 2am making cookie dough just so's I can get up at 7 to bake the suckers. Huzzah! Here, on your left, is one of these cookies.





I added extra orange zest this time, as per the advice of a friend. They all seem to like the orange factor, but they don't seem able to identify it. Everyone was asking me what "it" was. I haven't had one myself, so I can't give my opinion. Orange gives me a headache. Zesting 1 Tbsp worth was fun, let me tell you. At least it wasn't a clementine. I don't think I'll ever even try a recipe with clementine in it, unless someone really wants me too. Orange is the enemy.




This is only 2/3 of the batch. I ran out of the glaze, so the last sheet was plain. I just wanted to illustrate something with this photo; 7 people ate this many cookies before 6pm on Friday. As for the glaze, you may have noticed that there is a progession in texture from left to right in the photo. I will explain. The glaze is made on the stove top. You melt some butter, add vanilla bean paste (lots), and then you add 2 cups of powdered sugar. It is really hard to not make a mess, because the powedered sugar poofs all over the place. This is like making the thickest gravy ever, only it burns faster and is more difficult. I made the glaze in between batches, and when it is warmer (or fresher) it is spoonable and it drips everywhere. However, it had been sitting for a bit before I got to the next sheet of cookies. I had to spread it with a knife. Lesson learned? Bake first, glaze last.

Here is one last photo, because I liked the way it came out. This recipe comes from a Betty Crocker cookbook. I'm not sure how old, or which edition, the book is. I'd guess late seventies/early eighties, but I am just going on all of the suggestions for wheat flour and the way the photos look. There are about 8 different versons of this drop-cookie recipe in there, and I intend to try them all. Especially the brown sugar ones. That sounds very tasty. I will also try topping the pumpkin cookies with chocolate sauce sometime. I think I know a few people who would enjoy that.

No comments: