Friday, January 19, 2007

This One Goes Out To John

It is now time to talk about a cookie that has achieved some small degree of fame, due to Mr. John Peddie. When I first happened upon this recipe, I knew I had to make them for said man and my good friend Molly. If memory serves right, I baked them up on a Tuesday night, intending to schlep them around during my school day and give them to John at work that night. Molly loves peanut butter cookies, so I let her try a cookie before I gave them to John. Partly because I wanted to test them out before giving them to John, and because she was drooling over the package I carried. She and her friend Taylor tried one each, and the threatened to knock me out and steal them away. Needless to say, they made it to work for John and his wife Amy. I made them to celebrate the coming Child of Peddie (after new information was received, this has been edited to Son of Peddie).

Well, long story short, I don't think I will ever see the look John had on his face as he tried that cookie again. The man is a FIEND for these cookies. To his credit and my delight, he seems to enjoy most of my baked goods. I am glad. One day, I'll write about The Great Christmas Cookie Tower. However, today I only have time for the most recent batch of Peanut Butter with Snicker's cookies. The actual recipe name is "Santa's Surprise! Cookies", but that title is, for lack of a better word, lame.

I did not have the time to bake this batch tonight, for I have found myself staring down the barrel of that vicious gun Time yet once again. I'm already skirting disaster staying up late to make the dough, which has to chill for a few hours, because I have to be on the road to Bloomington for an Important Exam at 8 this all too quickly coming morning.

Enough talk! This is what the dough looks like. Inside of My KitchenAid.



Why is this underlined? I don't know what I just did...um. Well, as you can see, I ran out of saran wrap ( I do this baking thing quite often), so I MacGuyver'd a giant Ziploc bag for the job. I credit my friend David for this trick.

Ok, so now we're not underlined? I don't understand. This is mysterious. Um. OK, so these are the snickers bites that will go inside of the cookies at seven o'clock this coming morning. Wait, did I mention why I'm making these? Dangit. I promised my friend Paul that I would bring him homebaked cookies when I made it down to Bloomington. Tomorrow, I plan on delivering. Ouch...sorry about the bad pun.

Hey, look! I ran out of flour. Again, I do this 'baking' thing on an almost daily basis. No, really. I do. Want some cookies? You can see my 'apron' in the below photo. Today I discovered that I can secure a towel through my belt instead of throwing it over my shoulder. I should probably get an apron one of these days.

Ah, and here we have the finished product: The Cookie. My friend David has a Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe that he is known far and wide throughout the land for, I'll write about that recipe another day, and I think that I have made a similar, lesser known niche for myself with this sucker.

They are best when warm. I shipped them to my friend Jason and his fiance, Letha, but I don't know how the cargo fared. He said they were "grrreat!", but even though I appreciated that, it was somewhat vague.

I haven't modified the original recipe terribly much. I use vanilla bean paste instead of extract, dark brown sugar in place of light brown, and I do not drizzle melted chocolate on top. I tried to melt chocolate once...and I almost started a fire.

The next modification I'm going to try is whole wheat flour. On a very ordinary, unsuspecting day...

2 comments:

Hillary said...

oh hurray! i'm glad that you liked them!

Anonymous said...

You write very well.